Thursday, December 8, 2011

Neurofibromatosis intern

Hello all,
My name is Mardy Wiesman, a recent spring 2011 graduate from University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh. I had gone to college for a journalism degree with an emphasis in advertising and religious studies minor. I enjoy writing and my dream job someday will to be a copywriter. I have recently started at the Littlest Tumor Foundation (LTF) in late November 2011. Here, I am going to be in charge of the blog and contacting fellow bloggers on the net to join the LTF blog.
Prior to my internship here, I had no idea what neurofibromatosis (NF) was at the time. I sometimes would watch The Learning Channel (TLC) from time to time and there were a handful of specials on the disorder from time to time, although I forgot the disorder’s name over the course of time. After reading the book “Understanding Neurofibromatosis: 2nd Edition An Introduction for Patients and Parents” by James Tonsgard, Ph.D., for LTF, I was able to connect the disorder with the documentary specials I had watched years before. One of the points of both the book and the documentaries was the mentioning of cafĂ©-au-lait or coffee mixed with milk-colored spots that were present on those who were afflicted with NF.
Then it came back to me. I remembered how some people would have these spots on their body and that would be all they would be afflicted with. Then I remembered how other people would get a more severe case of NF and have neurofibroma or tumors all over their bodies. Yet at the same time, NF is a common, yet relatively unheard of disorder. Here at LTF we are spreading the word on NF by means of social media such as blogging and Facebook, but also through events and campaigns. Together we can find a cure for children with NF before they reach adulthood. Join LTF today and soon we will find a treatment because, “Tumors in children, we do not like them!”

No comments:

Post a Comment