Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Falafel- Good and Good for you!


The first time I had falafel was in fall 2008 at the Caspian Kitchen, a now defunct restaurant, near the UW-Oshkosh college campus. The cook offered me falafel on pita bread instead of the usual gyros and I accepted. Prior to this, I had never had falafel in my life. As I ate it I thought about how good it tasted and how much could be learned from it. I vaguely knew about falafel, such as the fact that it is generally eaten throughout the Near and Middle East. With the closing of the Caspian Kitchen in 2009 that was my last encounter with this tasty and healthy dish. Fast forward to November 2011 with the Littlest Tumor Foundation.

As many of you know, LTF not only strives to find a treatment for the disorder neurofibromatosis, but also stresses a whole food plant-based diet. I was thinking that out of one of the days of the week, I would try to at least of one vegan dish. Yet, I was curious as to what the “main” dish would be. I was sick of eating noodles and vegetable soup, and I remembered that we had pre-made falafel mix at the Oshkosh Pick ’n Save because I had seen a box while facing groceries one day. I had considered driving to Appleton’s Gyros Kabob for falafel, but that I didn’t know the exactly location and I figured I’d have a good learning experience making it myself. For that week’s shopping, I went down to Pick ’n Save to get some falafel to be the “main dish” for the following lunches and dinners. I found the box of falafel and now I could make my own falafel.

Falafel proved to be a very good break from animal-based foods. I found that mixing the water and falafel mix very fun. Instead of mixing it with a spoon, I used my fingers and mashed it together like dough. I felt like a kid again. This was also the first time that I had done any pan-frying in my life as well. I also enjoyed rolling the mix into balls, because it reminded me of making cookies. For those who are concerned with the frying of falafel, a person can bake them in the oven 40 minutes at 425 and being flipped every 10 minutes as well. One of the most amazing things about falafel mix is that you can CLEARLY READ all of the ingredients on the box. There are no large words at all with twenty-something letters that only a professor can read. Falafel also is not only vegan but also kosher as well and it also is a great source of iron, fiber, low in fat without saturated or trans-fat. Who ever knew something so delicious could also be so good! As soon as I was done cooking it, I couldn’t wait to try it. I put some hummus (instead of tzatziki sauce) on pita bread along with some lettuce, onion and tomato, and topped it off with the falafel I had made. It was phenomenal. At long last, I experienced the same wonderful taste that I had from three years prior! I was so grateful to have found it once again.

I would highly recommend falafel to anyone looking for a great and healthy alternative to a meat-based sandwich and also to those who maybe are considering becoming vegetarian or even vegan. Perhaps, falafel could bring a family together. It could easily be made with children for the part with the mixing of the water and mix. But we can leave the frying (or baking) to the parents! Falafel is a terrific and healthy food that can be easily made by anyone and a great addition to anyone’s diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment