Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Culinary Connection- A Chef's Advice on Kids Eating Healthy

In keeping with the theme of eating healthy, eating together, let's look at an interview with the chef for our annual family Wellness Retreat, Linda Ott.
Linda cooks nutritious meals for us and naturally, she enjoys cooking as a hobby when not helping others make good dietary choices. Let's look at what she had to say in our December 2011 interview with Linda on how to involve your children and family into cooking.



 Here is an excerpt:

Q) How can parents get their children to integrate healthy food into their diets?

A) Healthy eating should start at birth. The more you expose them to healthy foods, the more likely they will choose to eat healthy. Remember, kids are watching what you eat as well--set the right example. There is a lot of comfort food, it’s truly a mindset of choosing and I think that if you talk to anyone in the healthcare industry there are things a person can do. I think that people aren’t going to change the way they eat, until they are ready to change their eating habits.

Q) What has worked for you to get your children to eat healthy?

A) I raised them the same. My first child was raised on a vegetarian diet until about three when she came to Wisconsin. My 15-year-old has always been an easy-to-please kind of eater. She will try anything and enjoys healthy food--not to say that she doesn't enjoy junk food but if I stock my kitchen with good food, she will choose to eat good food.
My 6-year-old, on the other hand, is my picky eater. As with most kids, her tastes are constantly changing--one week she loves carrots and the next week she won't touch them! We grow a lot of our own veggies in the summer and that seems to help to get her to try the veggies after she has worked so hard to grow them. She also loves to cook with me and here again, if she is involved, she will try it. She has her days, some days I make Mac’ n Cheese but she also eats broccoli. I sometimes have to pick my battles. During the summer she is more likely to eat vegetables because she could see how they grow. I also find that she is more willing to try new things if they are simple--not a lot of sauces or seasoning and she prefers to eat one food at a time so no casseroles for her. I find that when I cook with my daughter she is more willing to try it later.

Q) In closing, what are some tips or even advice to give to people who are trying to eat and cook healthier?

A) The web has made searching for recipes so much easier than scouting through countless cookbooks. From what I have read I have learned that fresh is best, but frozen is the best second choice. When I do my own freezing I do them in servings of four and when it’s for a family or yourself then fresh is the best idea to go.
Take baby steps; don't try to overhaul your diet overnight. Start by adding a new fruit or vegetable each week or every other day. Try practicing Meatless Monday. Whip up a new flavored smoothie each week.

Click here to read the rest of the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment